Topics

Some Questions about scorex

Wingston Sharon

Hi all,

Just stumbled onto your github and had some queries about scorex and permacoin implementation and current state.

i wish to develop a (private) local key value distributed storage mechanism running on a blockchain.
by private i mean in a blockchain that is not bitcoin or ethereum etc.

can a proof of concept be estabilished for such a network upon scorex or Lagonaki testnet implementation in its current state?

Also what is Ergaki? you make no mention of it outsite an old email.

Is this project under current development? Or is it a project looking for an owner?

[Wilson Wingston Sharon]

Alexander Chepurnoy

Hi Wilson! And thanks for the interest!

In the first place, I would like to say we are making progress as fast as never before. Unfortunately, the work isn't visible right now.

My plan for the summer after 1.2.x releases was to make a big refactoring in 1.3 and the to implement Ergaki. Unfortunately, I found I want to rewrite way too much, so now it is 2.0, not 1.3.

2.0 is a complete redesign. It uses Scala type system extensively and aiming to be more pure, modular and extensible. It lives in separate bunch of repositories https://github.com/ScorexFoundation (not sure this is the final place). We're welcoming contributions, and working on current problems list to make road to the release fully observable. Pre-release text will be published in this month hopefully. We are also working on manual, it will be released along with code. The manual is about 15 pages now, a released version will be ~30 probably.

After 2.0 release we will start to implement next testnet, Ergaki. Basically nothing is changed here, the only probable addition is Proofs-of-Proof-of-Work with sublinear complexity implementation ( http://fc16.ifca.ai/bitcoin/papers/KLS16.pdf ).

The basic idea of Ergaki is blockchain without a bloat, so it would be extremely good for key-value databases. It will use special Proof-of-Work (http://arxiv.org/abs/1603.07926, I'm writing a new version now) though, so not much suitable for a private environment.

On a "private blockchain", in most cases if you need for replicated append log there are more suitable options in the field of PBFT algorithms, like Zyzzyva, Aardvark etc. In certain cases a blockchain with Proof-of-Stake would be useful though.

I think Scorex 1.x could be used for a prototype implementation. Also Alan McSherry has implemented a ledger constructor using something like Raft(he started with some early version Scorex, but have rewritten it heavily). The link is https://github.com/mcsherrylabs/sss.asado/wiki#future .

Sincerely, Alexander